Reasons to Attend
I know what you’re thinking…
So what? I can just talk to my child’s teacher via email and learn all this stuff on the school’s website.
Yes, that’s true for the most part–but there are some benefits you will only receive if you actually go to your child’s back to school night.
It’s important to get to know your child’s teacher
At back to school night you’ll have the chance to shake hands with your child’s teacher, get to know them, and exchange emails.
You may not realize, but having a healthy relationship with your child’s teacher really goes a long way.
If you get to know them, they’ll feel more comfortable emailing you if your child is struggling in class, and they may even be willing to privately tutor your child.
If you attend back-to-school night, your child’s teacher will see that you truly care about your child’s education, especially if you go out of your way to get to know them.
At back-to-school night, make sure that they know your name!
You’ll get to see the resources of the school and classroom
Have you ever wondered what your child’s school’s library is like? Now’s your chance to find out!
Attend back-to-school night and you’ll get to see EVERYTHING, including the library, gym, multi-purpose room, cafeteria, front office, and your child’s classroom.
You may enter your child’s classroom to find out that your teacher has a huge supply of arts and crafts, and that you don’t need to buy your child a brand new box of crayons and colored pencils!
Similarly, you may find out that the book your child has been begging you to buy for them is available at their school’s library for check-out.
Attending back to school night holds the school accountable
Looking for a way to improve your child’s school? Attend back-to-school night!
Just think about it; if no one attended this event, then your child’s school would have no reason to improve itself. By attending back-to-school night, you’ll be doing your part as a devoted parent by holding the school accountable.
This event is likely to have an assembly with all the parents and faculty. This is the perfect opportunity to bring up any concerns you may have! Don’t like the school’s lunch options? Complain! Your complaint is likely to get some sort of response.
Attending back to school night sends a message to your child
Does your child sometimes see you as a pushover? Want to show them that you mean business? ATTEND BACK-TO-SCHOOL NIGHT.
By taking time out of your busy schedule to attend this event, you’re showing your child that you’re willing to play an active role in their education, and that if they want that new video game, they better get that A+.
What to Expect at Back to School Night
- When? Schools usually schedule the event for a weekday evening within a month of the first day of school.
- Who? You’ll be able to meet your child’s teachers and aides, the principal, nurse, and other staff members, and of course your fellow parents. Unless otherwise specified, this is an adults-only night, so book a sitter.
- Where? The evening typically begins with an introduction in the auditorium or gymnasium. Then you’ll separate into groups and spend the evening with your child’s teacher(s).
- What? The event gives you a glimpse of your child’s daily life at school and an opportunity to learn about the curriculum. You can also sign up to join the PTA or other parent group.
- Why? Research shows that parent involvement in schools helps students achieve more and schools thrive. And joining the PTA is a great way to have a voice in school issues and decisions.
- It’s important to get to know your child’s teacher.
- You’ll get to see the school’s resources and your child’s classroom.
- You’ll hold the school accountable.
- You’ll send a message to your child.